Peter asked me last night how I managed to not worry about money. The answer I gave him was wholly inadequate, so I decided I’d try again here. What I had said to him was that I found worrying about it never made it better. While this is true, it is not how one manages to avoid the worrying.
The truth of the matter is that I don’t worry about the money because I trust the universe to provide for me. How I developed this trust is a little more tricky of an answer, and requires some history.
I first learned to trust the universe by learning to trust myself. My husband (yes I was married, for seven years) was unemployed for the last year and a half of our marriage and I had to support both of us (something I had never done on my own since we met while I was still in college and on the ‘rents payroll). I was very proud of myself for managing to accomplish this task while on a commission-only job (real estate sales). So that gave me faith in my ability to provide for myself.
Then I had to learn to trust someone else. This came in the form of Bill, my former roommate. For the last four years, he was my knight in shining armor coming to the rescue financially and otherwise as I stepped out and learned who I was. He was the person who, despite his faults and my own, never stopped loving me. I owe him a debt of gratitude (and a pile of cash) for his patience then and now with my learning process.
Then, I had to learn that all of this was nothing but an illusion. I didn’t really provide for myself, nor did Bill really provide for me on an energetic level, the universe provided for all of us. It had provided me with the people who wanted to buy houses, it had led me to Bill and provided him with the income that allowed him to be so supportive of me, and now it was time for me to acknowledge that the abundance I had found within myself and with my friends was actually all around me. Hence, the walkabout.
I have found that no matter what happens, no matter how bleak things may seem, the universe always steps in (sometimes at the last moment) and makes it OK. It is this evidence repeatedly played over in my mind that helps me to have faith and not worry about the cash. I am eminently logical at times and I need evidence. I have had lots of it, as have you all if you choose to look at it. So I play that evidence in my head when I start to think that things aren’t going as well as they could, then I feel better knowing that everything happens for a reason.
So, to summarize, the key to not worrying about the cash is to
1) Acknowledge that worrying serves no purpose and is, in fact counterproductive since it puts energy into the worst case scenario (something that those of us who manifest well cannot afford to do)
2) Learn to trust yourself to provide for your needs (financially and emotionally)
3) Learn to trust others
4) Accept that the universe works through all people, including yourself, and that the world is nothing more than the illusion of separateness. The universe will always provide.
5) Remind yourself of the proof of this fact by repeating the evidence of it in your life on a daily basis so there is no room for doubt.
Well, there it is. Not exactly the journal entry I had in mind when I went to bed last night, but I felt like I needed to give Peter a better answer. Thanks for reading along.
* This is part of an ongoing series of posts detailing what happened on a spiritual pilgrimage that I took in 2002. To start from the beginning, go to July 2, 2013. To see the entire spiritual journey as it gets published, click on the category “You Want Me To Do WHAT?!!?” to see all of the posts.